Welcome to the new Home Performance Forum.

This site is read-only for archival purposes. Please visit the Home Energy Pros Forum to continue the conversations.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - HOME ENERGY PROS MERGER

David ButlerDavid Butler Posts: 3,889
To Home Performance Forum members:

Along with my friends at the Home Performance Coalition (HPC), I'm pleased to announce the Home Performance Forum will soon merge with Home Energy Pros under the HPC banner. Please take a moment to read HPC's press release, attached.

What precipitated this change? The Home Energy Pros website, a partnership between Lawrence Berkley Labs and Home Energy Magazine, is losing DoE funding and was set to close down October 1. The Home Performance Coalition saw this as an opportunity to expand its role as a facilitator of professional networking and dialogue within the home performance and weatherization communities. I saw this as an opportunity to move our forum to a more robust platform.

The transition from the LinkedIn group has been difficult. Our forum software (Vanilla) required numerous modification to accommodate our needs, and still lacks key communication features necessary to keep the membership engaged. In particular, the Vanilla platform provides no way to subscribe to new discussions, nor does it support periodic activity digests. This means most of you have received no communication from the forum since joining unless you subscribed to an active discussion. Indeed, less than half of our membership has logged in since initially joining. So while I've been disappointed in the low activity level, I can't say I'm surprised. Out of sight, out of mind.

I’m sure you'll like the HEP platform (powered by Ning). It features a topical discussion forum not unlike our own, plus a number of special interest groups, some of which are private (any member can create a group). There's a blog section as well as separate tabs for videos, photos and events. Importantly, you can sign up to be notified for all new discussions and to receive regular digests. Our archives and search engine will remain separate on the Vanilla platform (read-only), but will be easily accessible from a new tab in the Home Energy Pros header. Bookmarks and links into the archives will remain intact.

Unfortunately, there's no way to automatically enroll our membership in the HEP platform. Many of you are already members, but those who aren't will need to register. Once you enter your email and password on the registration form, you'll need to confirm your email and complete the profile questionnaire. Although not required, you can mention the Home Performance Forum in the 'Professional Interests' section of the profile, as new members must be approved by the HEP admin/moderator. Until the transition is complete, you can register at http://homeenergypros.lbl.gov. Our new domain will be http://homeenergypros.org, which will also be linked from the HPC home page. The transition will occur over the next several days.

Speaking of moderators, I'm pleased to announce that HEP's esteemed moderator and site administrator, Diane Chojnowski, will continue in her role under the direction of the Home Performance Coalition, giving me a much-needed break! I look forward to seeing everyone online over at the new site.

Best Regards,
David Butler, forum administrator
The Home Performance Forum

Comments

• Sweet, especially as I pointed people over here http://homeenergypros.lbl.gov/group/bestpracticesresidential
  • David ButlerDavid Butler Posts: 3,889
    edited September 26
    I saw that! Diane wanted to reply with a teaser but HPC asked her to hold off until this AM
    For those who may have attempted to register at Home Energy Pros, the site was down for a while today (perhaps related to the back-end ownership changeover). In any case, it's back up now.
  • David, It's been a true pleasure to have you moderating the forum and I will miss you !! I hope you stay very active as I believe you have a great deal to offer other members. Enjoy your expanded personal time and I'm sure your spouse is smiling - at least a little when you're not looking !!
    edited September 27
    Thanks Ed, but I'm not there quite yet. This transition is ongoing this week, as we prepare the Vanilla forum to be read-only, and properly appear in a frame on the HEP site. I'm coordinating between my Vanilla guru in Europe, the Ning folks, the LBL folks, our new moderator, Diane, and the HPC folks. I'm sure you're familiar with the term 'herding cats' :)