Welcome to the new Home Performance Forum.

This site is read-only for archival purposes. Please visit the Home Energy Pros Forum to continue the conversations.

Cat III Venting Outdoors

Danny GoughDanny Gough Posts: 185
edited June 26 in Combustion diagnostics
Greetings,
I am hoping for some enlightenement here. Just investigated a 18 year old propane boiler in a tall crawl space. The owner called me in because she is getting heavy doses of flue gas from a recently replaced side wall vent assembly. The replacement vent now routes horizontally across the crawl space exits out the foundation wall and then travels some 6 ft under her deck before termination. It has more than 1/4 inch per ft. grade back to the boiler. BUT a large part of the horizontal vent is not subject to below freezing conditions the majority of the winter. I know Cat III appliances are classified as non condensing. That has got to change when you place the last 6 ft or so of the vent assembly in extremely cold outdoor conditions. Someone besides me might be able to calculate the probability of whether the condensate will drain back to the boiler before it freezes. I just want support for the idea that leaving it outside is a code violation. Does anyone know of any code language, commentary or other verbiage from ICC Fuel Gas or Mechanical Code or NFPA 54 that will support a probition of running single wall stainless cat III vents horizontally in exterior cold temps ?

Comments

• Danny GoughDanny Gough Posts: 185
    edited June 26
    Corrections I saw after the edit timer expired......."A large part of the horizontal vent is NOW under her deck before termination." and".... does any one know any code language, commentary of other verbiage.......that will support a PROHIBITION......"
  • Danny GoughDanny Gough Posts: 185
    edited June 27
    I accidentially stumbled on the answer if someone else needs the info. IFGC Section 503.7.2.
  • David ButlerDavid Butler Posts: 3,889
    For the benefit of others reading this thread....
    2015 IFGC
    Section 503.7.2 Cold Climate
    Uninsulated single-wall metal pipe shall not be used outdoors for venting appliances in regions where the 99-percent winter design temperature is below 32°F (0°C).