Greetings, Home Performance Forum
After two years in the planning process, we finally completed the design for an off-grid homestead in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. We are now under construction, and are starting to see some real progress. We will go in to more detail about this later, but we've integrated a permaculture farm in to the project, as well as made all buildings high performance, and "zombie proof". We're sharing progress videos of the construction of the homestead on our youtube channel. We will be testing everything along the way to get the data to confirm what we've done, to share with data lovers, and to use for future projects.
Here's a site plan of the are where most of the construction is happening. It will help when you look at the video (below).
Just a few details...
- Total property size: 103 acres
- Devleoped area: approx. 5 acres
- House: just under 3,000 square feet
- Storage barn: just over 3,000 square feet.
- Solar: 18.9 kW PV system with batteries off-grid system.
- No fossil fuels, ALL electric
- Potable Water: Natural spring, with gravity pump. Water pumped to (2) 3,000 gallon cisterns on mountain at elevation that results in 60 psi of gravity fed to house and barn.
- Back up to potable systems are drilled well and rainwater cisterns.
- Non-Potable water: over 6,000 gallons of rainwater storage (cisterns), from rooftops.
- Wall Assembly: 6" continuous exterior rock wool on gyp sheathing on panelized metal framing
- Roof Assembly: 8" continuous exterior rock wool on gyp sheathing on panelized metal framing
- Zombie-proof-ing: Sliding security panels over glass doors; 10'-0" courtyard wall; 20 Ga corrugated metal cladding; Etc...
Here is the latest video post of a brief tour of the construction site, during the installation of the storm water management systems.